Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I ran my antivirus and it found a trojan called smss.exe? but ive heard that its a main part of wind

How do I know if I'm deleting the wrong smss.exe?



I ran my antivirus and it found a trojan called smss.exe? but ive heard that its a main part of windows...?norton internet security



If it is in C:\Windows\System32 it belongs to the Operating System - in all other places it is malware.



wdw



I ran my antivirus and it found a trojan called smss.exe? but ive heard that its a main part of windows...?spyware remove



quarantine it so nothing goes wrong
It is fairly common for trojans to masquerade as actual windows components. The safest way to be sure if it's okay to delete the process is to go to Start%26gt;Run%26gt;msconfig and select the startup tab. Then locate the process and disable it on startup. If your computer acts normal after restart then you probably don't need that process running. However removing it may be unnecessary after it is disabled. Never be in too much of a hurry to remove .exe files as they may be needed for programs and you may not know it right away.
Any time you get a hit like that, you can look it up in Google.



I searched on 'smss.exe', and it sounds like you should mistrust the antivirus software (often free antivirus programs are really more like viruses themselves).



Top Google hit:



smss.exe is a process which is a part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System. It is called the Session Manager Subsystem and is responsible for handling ...
The propper smss.exe will be located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32

No comments:

Post a Comment